[Nml-wg] Possibility of changes (was Re: Interface vs Port)

Jason Zurawski zurawski at internet2.edu
Tue Aug 30 10:58:50 CDT 2011

Hi Jeroen/All;

A running implementation is not the only argument, its just one of the
possible arguments.  perfSONAR/OSCARS/et al. knew they were adopting a
living standard, and as such were aware of the risks in doing so.  This
does not mean they don't get a say in questioning the motivation and
implications of a working group decision to reverse course on a key
concept, or being upset that it is being suggested.  As someone who has
put in a lot of work in this area, I am a bit upset that 'outsiders' who
have not been heavily invested in the process would think that this
suggestion would not cause some headaches.

I still stand by my previous statement that wasn't really answered yet:
what motivation do we as a working group have to change prior work?
Beyond fostering some adoption, that I am convinced would happen
regardless of this proposed name choice, I would like to know "what is
in it for NML".  This is not a simple change for the working group or
partnering organizations that are working to build real solutions in
this space, and as such needs some serious rationale to be listed out.

Regarding plugfest, your statement surprises me.  This is an opportunity
to show the work being produced by the NML working group as an
interoperable and legitimate way to describe network topology.  Using
something different, with no real ties to the working group, means that
what is being produced really is "demo" code that will need to be
'changed' when the final standard is produced.  This seems like a bit
mistake, and a loss for the WG in my opinion.

Thanks;

-jason

On 8/30/11 11:36 AM, thus spake Jeroen van der Ham: