[Nml-wg] XML syntax for NML relations

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Tue Aug 16 13:41:37 CDT 2011

Hi Jason,

Let me be the first to say that I very much appreciate your feedback,
despite the disagreements we sometimes have. I for one still gladly
invite you for a cup of coffee (or any other beverage) next OGF :)

The discussion this afternoon was indeed a bit heated, but I think we
both can separate feelings from the technical discussion.

Perhaps a phone call may help. I know there is an NMC call scheduled
this Thursday, otherwise I would have proposed an NML call at that time.

There is still a lot to say regarding your previous mail, I may try to
summarise it in a separate mail, but I'll gladly postpone that for now
if you feel a short break serves the discussion.

There's one off-hand remark that caught my eye:

> to my knowledge a parser can only verify against a
> single schema at any given time.

To my knowledge it is possible for a parser to validate against multiple
schema at the same time.

I fear this alone may be responsible for quite a lot of our
misunderstandings in this discussion.

For example, to me that meant I saw no functional difference between an
element in the same namespace and an element in a different namespace,
while to you they are clearly very different (and I now understand my
they are different to you; I previously didn't understand that). I also
fear that the whole discussion at the first half of your previous email
was just an exponent of this misunderstanding. At least, reading back I
can now understand where your argument was coming from.

Let's hope we can find the other underlying differences in assumptions
we sure have (preferably with less lengthy mails ;) ).

If you know a magical way to find these differences, let me know ...

All the best,