[Nml-wg] NML base in the rnc schema

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed Apr 27 03:09:13 CDT 2011

On 26/04/2011 16:11, Roman Łapacz wrote:
> W dniu 2011-04-22 23:40, Aaron Brown pisze:
>> Hey Roman,
>
> Hi Aaron,
>

>> Overall, it looks good. A few questions on the schema.
>>
>> 1. It'd be good if StartTime/EndTime/Duration were specified
>> explicitly instead of being anyElement* (e.g. an xsd:string that
>> contains a unix timestamp)
>
> I did this way to have it very generic. The UML diagram from
> nml-base.pdf does not define too much details. For Lifetime it has only
> "sequence of (start,end)".

I agree that we could do with a better specification of those dates and
the duration. Iirc there are some standard types in XML that can handle
that.

>>     - Relatedly, is there any reason to have both Duration and EndTime
>> instead of just one or the other?

I think there are some scenarios where you'd use one or the other, or
perhaps even both where you ask for a link that you will use for some
duration, but it has to be before endTime.

>> 2. Apparently, in the US, zip codes can have a different form than
>> just an integer. 5 digits, a hyphen and 4 digits (e.g. 20037-8001):
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_code#ZIP.2B4
>
> I took it from
> https://svn.internet2.edu/svn/nmwg/trunk/nmwg/schema/rnc/topo/nmtopo_base.rnc.
> This can be updated.

Zipcode would be a good place to have just an xsd:string. Who knows what
crazy scheme some countries come up with :)

Jeroen.