[Nml-wg] Adaptation Algebra

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Tue Mar 16 16:50:14 CDT 2010

Hi Jerry (and others),

My apology for some blatant self-references.

During today's NML discussion, you toyed with the idea of defining
transfer functions as algebraic functions.

We in fact did that, using the Identity function for links and regular
functions for adaptation and inverse functions for de-adaptation. Here
is the paper: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2008.02.013 or
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~fdijkstr/publications/G805_Multilayer_Model.pdf

A slightly revised version is found in chapter 4 of my thesis:
http://www.macfreek.nl/work/

Although I do not see practical use in an OGF standard, it was a nice
exercise. If you are interested, I recommend you contact Cees de Laat;
the ideas in those papers led to the idea of using Prolog for path
finding, and his group is still actively looking into the exact logic
that underly path finding algorithms.

Regards,