[Nml-wg] Definitions of "Adaptation", "AdaptationType" and "AdaptationService"

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Wed Jan 27 11:52:23 CST 2010

Some clarifying questions inline --

On Jan 27, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As agreed on the last OGF, Jeroen and I have worked on the definitions
> of Adaptation, Adaptation Function and Adaptation Services.
>
> We propose four definitions to describe adaptation between network
> layers:
>
> Definitions:
> * Layer: A collection of Ports with common Characteristic Information
> (Characteristic Information is defined in ITU-T G800; we envision
> sublayers to be a separate layer too, but this is really up to
> technology-specific extensions).
can you define sublayer?  Is this multiplexing within a layer using
labels to encapsulate the sublayer?  Or something else?

> * AdaptationType: Abstract type describing the technology of embedding
> the data of one layer into the data of another layer.
> * AdaptationService: Adaptation capability in a topology or node.
I would think this could happen in a port, or at least be specific to
a port.  Is that possible?

> * Adaptation: Actual data transport function where data of one port is
> embedded in the data of another port. This can be a configured
> AdaptationService, or a static component.
>
> Properties:
> * AdaptationType is between two Layers (the client and server Layer)
> * AdaptationService is between two PortGroups
> (This is a new concept, see below)
> * Adaptation is between two Ports (the client and server Port)
>
> Context:
> * Adaptation and AdaptationService are part of a Topology or Node.
> * Adaptation can not be part of a cross-connect in a SwitchMatrix.
> * AdaptationService can not be part of a SwitchMatrixService.
>
> PortGroup concept:
> * PortGroup: a collection of zero or more Ports in a Node or a
> Topology.
> PortGroups can be used to describe between which Ports an Adaptation
> can
> be created from an AdapatationService, or similarly between which
> Ports
> a cross-connect can be made in a SwitchMatrix.

When  a link with multiple labeled sub-links connects to a port with
multiple labeled subports on a node --
What is the way that labeled links are concatenated to labeled ports
-- is that cross connect?  If not, what is it?