[Nml-wg] Path vs Link

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Sat Dec 4 06:15:09 CST 2010

Roman Łapacz wrote:

> I'm analysing the UML diagram  in nml-base pdf doc and comparing Link
> and Path elements. If I'm not wrong it was said that the set of
> existing elements should be minimal as much as possible (reusable
> elements). Following this general rule I'm thinking that Link could
> be used instead of Path.

Roman, you are absolute right, and this is in fact what was discussed at
OGF30.

Unfortunately, this was not yet changed in the document. I just
committed a new diagram (removing Path and adding Bidirectional Port).
If there are volunteers to make these changes in the text, you are sure
to receive some Instant Karma (tm).

> Now I'm thinking about the case of circuit. Example: there may
> be 3 domains so we have 3 types of view: high (a path/circuit), medium
> (a link representing aggregated connection in a domain), low (links
> inside a domain). Can path be just a link with end nodes representing
> ends of circuits?

Yes, it can. They are in fact all "Link Connections" in G.800
terminology, and there is no need for us to use a different term for
"Link" and "Path".

Key is that we need to find a way to relate the "high" (=end to end)
Links to "medium" or "low" Links (=segments). This can be done by the
"serial compound" relation as described at OGF 30.

Again, this has not been transcribed in the schema document, and we need
volunteers for that.

Regards,