[Nml-wg] Definitions of Topology, Domain and Network

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Thu Dec 17 02:47:09 CST 2009

On 16/12/2009 15:12, Aaron Brown wrote:
> A question still open is the definition of "connected"? Is it a
> literal connected graph, or does it mean connected such that folks
> could actually somehow make circuits to get from any point in the
> graph to any other point (ignoring how they know that reservations
> and the like can happen)?
>
> For example, say someone has a switch with sonet ports and ethernet
> ports and that switch connects to two other nodes, one via ethernet
> and one via sonet. Is the implication that the node connected via
> ethernet can connected to the node connected by SONET? If not, is
> that a connected graph for these purposes, or are there two separate
> topologies (the SONET one and the Ethernet one)? Relatedly, if a
> topology is disjoint due to solely to switching capabilities instead
> of cabling, is that two separate topologies or a single topology?

I think that "connected" is indeed a term that we should define properly.
I would say that for "connectedness" it has to be possible for a circuit
to be made between ports ot make it "connected". It does not have to be
a terminated connection, so it should be possible to come in on Ethernet
on one side and SONET on the other.

Jeroen.