[Nml-wg] Ports with multiple connections?

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Aug 25 09:05:09 CDT 2009

Paola Grosso wrote:
> Hi Jeroen
>>  Outside of the domain this signal gets split, and both VLAN sets head
>> of to their separate destination domains.
>>

> This is still unclear to me.
> How do you split Ethernet packets travelling on a single cable that are
> tagged with different vLANs? This can only occur in a Ethernet device
> (the Switching Matrixi in my example). I do not see how you do it
> otherwise. So your port needs to go to one other Ethernet port (portB in
> my example)

My point is that the splitting of VLANs happens outside of your domain
and outside of your control. So yes, it is going to happen somewhere in
a switchingmatrix, but you cannot control it.

So, how do you want to describe this?
Do you want to introduce a Node/SwitchingMatrix that is there but you do
not control?

Jeroen.