[Nml-wg] URN urn:ogf:network

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Thu Sep 25 04:30:30 CDT 2008

Jeff W. Boote wrote:

> But, I recognize that
> there may be other constraints on these identifiers in other spaces.
> So, I ask - what are those *engineering* constraints?

If the owner is part of the identifier (as I just suggested in my
previous mail; e.g. identifier=glif.is:2678), and there is another
mapping from owner (glif.is) to phonebook (e.g.
https://idc.internet2.edu/ws/status.cgi), then each domain can only have
one phone book.

In Jeroen's proposal, each identifier is just a string, and there is a
direct mapping from identifier to each phone book. So without the
intermediate mapping of the identifier to owner to phonebook. The
advantage is that a domain can have two phonebooks. E.g. the phonebook
for glif.is:2678 may be https://idc.internet2.edu/ws/status.cgi. while
the phonebook for glif.is:2679 may be http://glif.is/ws/status.cgi.

So Jeroen's proposal is even more flexible.
(Jeroen, correct me if I'm wrong)

Regards,