[Nml-wg] URN urn:ogf:network

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed Sep 24 03:08:12 CDT 2008

Aaron Brown wrote:
> There are reasons for a bulkier, less context-sensitive identifier
> scheme, but I'm not sure the NML list is the right place to hash this
> out since the identifier schemes are relevant more for lookup and
> distribution than basic description.

What do you mean by distribution in this case?

>  For the sake of NML, i'd prefer to leave it at "identifiers are globally unique strings".

I compeletely agree with that. I've tried to hammer this point down at a
GLIF meeting last year as well. I am all for leaving the form of the
identifiers up to the people creating them. There are lots and lots of
ways to create a globally unique identifier and everybody has their
preference. I really don't care what they choose as long as it is
*globally unique*.

But, I do have to add one restriction to that clause. The globally
unique string should be just an identifier, nothing more. That means no
implicit type information, no implicit location information, no implicit
source information, nothing.
The globally unique string must identify a resource, about which more
things can be stated using NML.

Jeroen.

--
             My email address has changed to <vdham at uva.nl>
   (The science has disappeared from my address, but I'm still doing it)