[Nml-wg] Domains

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Sat May 31 14:10:32 CDT 2008

Anand Patil wrote:
> I agree with Aaron that we should be driven by use cases and not get
> bogged down in a theoretical discussion on this issue.

Sounds reasonable enough :-).
Are there practical use cases for domains in the first deliverable?
If not, are there particular use cases for you?

If not, here is mine:
1) Global Crossing commisions ships to lay a trans-oceanic fibre.
SURFnet leases that fiber for 15 years. SURFnet pays SARA to operate the
switch that is connected to that fiber.
What is the domain of this fiber? GC? SURFnet or SARA?

In TMN terms GC is the legal owner, SURFnet the economic owner, SARA the
operator. At the moment I only need/want to model SARA as the
OperatorDomain, since they operate the control plane my software likes
to talk to.

So my use case requires an OperationalDomain, nothing else.

Yuri Demchenko, one of my colleagues who is going to present next week,
may disagree, since he want to couple policy descriptions to NML, and he
may need to model the SURFnet PolicyDomain.