[Nml-wg] About modelisation of the network description

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Fri Mar 28 05:34:04 CDT 2008

Aaron Brown wrote:
> Evangelos Chaniotakis wrote:
>> Disadvantage: It'll be a bit more cumbersome to look things up - users
>> won't
>> be able to just look at an id and immediately know stuff about it. But
>> well, we'll
>> have identifier lookup services and tools for that.
> The issue I have with meaningless, globally-unique names comes in
> constructing the lookup service. If we have one global lookup service,
> it's easy. If i want to know about a random id, i lookup the id in that
> central service to find the authoritative topology service for that
> element, and then I go look up the element's information there. That
> centralized lookup service will have tremendous issues scaling, so we'd
> need to distribute the lookups. Since the IDs are completely random, to
> do that even somewhat feasibly, we'd have to use a DHT as the lookup
> service, and no matter what, every element in every domain would need to
> be in the DHT.

I do not think that a central lookup service will have scaling issues
for a long time. Even if optical network were to take off like a
super-sonic rocket, we're talking infrequent requests, with a minimal
data footprint.

I'm not advocating a central lookup service, but we should have better
arguments than the simple "it does not scale".

Jeroen.

--
             My email address has changed to <vdham at uva.nl>
   (The science has disappeared from my address, but I'm still doing it)