[Nml-wg] Network and domain abstractions

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed Mar 19 13:22:35 CDT 2008

Freek Dijkstra wrote:
> I do not see why it is necessary to know about the terminating device
> for links in the external view. It seems to me that all I need to know
> is the encoding of the link, the the capabilities of the domain
> ('network' in my terminology) to act on this link.

You need to know about the terminating device, otherwise you cannot find
a path to it.
We could of course go into hierchical addressing, but that opens up the
whole naming-and-addressing can of worms.

Jeroen.

--
             My email address has changed to <vdham at uva.nl>
   (The science has disappeared from my address, but I'm still doing it)