[Nml-wg] modelisation of the network description and dynamic circuits

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Thu Mar 6 16:23:15 CST 2008

This has been a great thread, and I would like to throw in a couple
ideas about how DCN setup works or could work to get your ideas.

First -  There are a couple cases where the obvious way of describing
a network doesn't work for DCN.
Case 1 - We have a network with an ethernet interface to a switch.
The switch is statically configured to take some VLANS to one
endpoint and other VLANS to other networks.  The way we have talked
about handling this is to create a separate link for each VLAN group.

I am not good at XML so I will write this as

domain=Internet2
node=Boston-Ciena
port = ethenet-A
link = bu.edu

domain=Internet2
node=Boston-Ciena
port = ethenet-A
link = tufts.edu

Now  in the properties (I  think) for each link will be included the
allowable VLANS.
My question is how one describes a link as a set of VLANS

Case 2 - Between I2-NY and GEANT-Paris we want to create multiple GE
circuits which can be used to create connections between I2 and
GEANT.  One way to do this seems to be to create a "traffic
engineering-link" between NY and Paris.  The GE Ports are used when
making a connection, and the points of the link have to determine
which ports are available in much the same way that we determine
which VLANS are available now.  This seems to me to be equivalent to
creating a "virtual" link between NY and Paris.

I think Aaron said this would be possible (I may have
misunderstood).  If so I am wondering how this would be represented
in the topology schema, and then how it is presented - presumably as
a "view" or model to DCN.

John