[Nml-wg] About modelisation of the network description

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Wed Mar 5 18:04:06 CST 2008

Hi Aaron,

Good points.

To me, a "Node" is a network element with switching capability and
interfaces. I love that concept.

"Network" and "Device" classes are subsets of the more generic "Node"
concept. (Subclasses in a UML relational diagram.) A Device is a Node
with some additional properties (for example a device has a Location,
while a Network is not bound to a single location).

If we want to have a "View" object that can also describe network
elements in multiple domains, all I can think of is just a "Group" (of
network elements), but NOT a Node subclass. (Feel free to counter this
argument. Maybe my imagination is limited!)

Both "View" and "Network" are groupers.

Groups exist only because we humans like to talk about them and refer to
them. We like to abstract things, and that is very useful. A path
finding may ignore these groups and only looks at the switching
capabilities (I've got a path finding that totally ignores devices and
domains, and only looks at interfaces, adaptations and switch matrices).

In my view, the difference between "View" and "Network" is that a
network element can only be in ONE "Network", but can occur in multiple
"Views". This is an arbitrary distinction, but to me a very useful one.
The restriction of network takes away a bit of flexibility, but in
return my control plane software becomes much more simple. And I like that.

To summarize:

Device:   a node, not a group.
Network:  a node, a group. A network elt. can be in only 1 network.

Are we missing something? Perhaps Aurélien's Model concept:
Model:    a node, a group. A network elt. can be in multiple models.
(if I understood correctly, that is)

I'm currently fine with "just" the above 3 concepts.

Regards,