[Nml-wg] Adaptations (was: More UML....)

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Wed Jun 25 09:05:23 CDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 6:59 AM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> John Vollbrecht wrote:
>
>> So what exactly is an adaptation.
>
> See also my mail yesterday.
>
> Loosly, adaptation is the encapsulation of one data layer into
> another data layer.
>
> A de-adaptation is the extraction of data from that lower layer
> (which also terminates the lower layer path).
>
> Formally (G.800):
>> The adaptation source function is a labelling and encoding entity
>> that takes one or more client communications passing through its
>> client facing input port(s), and combines them into instances of
>> adapted information. The adaptation source function also adds
>> sufficient labelling in order to distinguish each client
>> communication from all others within the scope of the access point
>> to which the adaptation source is bound. The instances of adapted
>> information are passed through the server facing port.
>

>> For example, and OTN port might  convert things to SONET,
>> Ethernet, and other line protocols.  Is this  adaptation?
>
> Yes, if "things" is a higher layer than SONET or Ethernet.

I think that I  understand what you are saying - that  a link has a
single stream on it and that single stream can be adapted to some
other layer.  However, in multiplexed networks like  DCN a link can
carry many streams and each stream can be adapted differently.  In
fact, in an ete circuit there may be several links and each link may
do a different adaptation.   How does the topology describe something
like this?

John