[Nml-wg] domains and the Stitching Framework (SF) version 2

Victor Reijs victor.reijs at heanet.ie
Mon Jun 2 02:29:39 CDT 2008

Hello all of you,

A few changes to the pdf file (learnt some more UML). I also added the
IDC domain names in the below text.

So I am looking at the classes of domains which might be important when
working on Stitching (which is trying to connect different domains
together by checking if they are or can be made compatible).

This work has been done as part of AutoBAHN (GN2 JRA3 activity). The
document that describes this Stitching Framework (SF) is here:
http://www.geant2.net/upload/pdf/GN2-07-066v5-DJ3-5-3-Report_on_Testing_of_Technology_Stitching.pdf

This is already an 'old' document (1 year) and was also presented at
GLIF in Japan (2006):
http://www.glif.is/meetings/2006/controlplane/reijs-jra3.pdf
<remember this is all before I knew UML, so it is not using that right
UML terminology!>

I talked with Freek and we discussed the domains that could be important
for NML and I proposed to make an overview of the 'domains' (classes and
objects in UML language) which are handy (but not always essential!) in
the SF. The SF is just one view of reality (a use case), so there might
be less classes (more objects) or more classes (less objects) when
looking at all use cases of domains. At least the ones I discuss were in
some way handy when talking about stitching (the ones with a * at the
end look to be important for path finding and stitching).

The below list comes from the above GEANT2 document (section 2.2.1) and
I tried to UML-ize it (but I am really a novice on UML!).
<I am still not 100% confident when to use classes, objects, attributes
or values in UML, I am working on that>

I tried to check the terminology used within AutoBAHN and IDC (but I
did was not able to fully cover this). It also is written from the view
of Bandwidth on Demand (circuits), but it can just as well work in
packet switched networks, application environment and/or political
levels;-) So anywhere compatibility is needed..
Remember I might use IDC and AutoBAHN as examples, but they might not
have implemented it!!!
I also did not check it with NMWG doc. 'Hierarchy of Characteristics',
which is I assume:
http://www-didc.lbl.gov/NMWG/docs/draft-ggf-nmwg-hierarchy-02.pdf ?

The domain classes that play a some role in the use case, which uses the
SF, are :
• Termination domain
This domain is where the possible path begins or ends. At least two
Termination domains must exist in each path. A Termination domain can be
a single workstation or a full-blown network (with demand for multiple
paths). The Termination domain is not managed by the service (like
AutoBAHN/IDC). It has only one 'side' (egress at start of the path and
ingress at end of the path).

• User domain* [AutoBAHN: UserAccessPoint?] [IDC: End-User]
A User domain is a kind of the Termination domain and it is where the
actual User’s system/network resides.

• Linking domain* [AutoBAHN: External?]
A Linking domain has known interfaces/protocols/processes and is one of
the domains that make up the possible path between two Termination
domains. If a proposed path (LIDP: Loose Inter-Domain Path) is possible
all Linking domains together will form the actual path (SIDP: Strict
Inter-Domain Path) (like AutoBAHN or IDC).
A linking domain has two 'sides' (ingress and egress)

• Home domain
The Home domain is the domain that will accept the BoD request from a
User. The Home domain does not have to be an actual Linking domain in
the path; the Home domain is just the domain where the User sends
his/her BoD request. So the Home domain acts as a proxy to the service
and determines the Source Domain).

• Source domain* [AutoBAHN: HomeDomain?] [IDC: Source/Endpoint]
This is the first Linking domain that is part of the possible path.
It might starts the investigation if a the BoD request can be made.

• Destination domain* [AutoBAHN: LastDomain?] [IDC: Destination/Endpoint]
This is the last Linking domain that is part of the possible path.
It might do the path finding and feasibility evaluation of the proposed
path based on all information gathered from the Linking and Termination
domains.

• Technology domain
Linking domains can use a certain technology (such as pure optical
circuits, SDH, SONET, Ethernet, etc.) in its switching/routing core. A
Technology domain can allow ports to have a different
technology then the Core (so adaptation taking place in the actual
interface): e.g. an SDH Technology domain can have Ethernet ports.

• Administrative domain [IDC: Domain]
Networks fall under the strategic, tactic and operational responsibility
of an entity e.g. NREN, operator, etc. Such an entity is called an
Administrative domain. (Remember sometimes these three responsibilities
can be done by three parties)

• Provisioning domain
A Provisioning domain is a Linking domain, which is defined by its
provisioning methodology instead its technology. E.g. some NRENs
(Administrative domain) aggregate their networks into one Provisioning
domain. An example is HEAnet with its native Ethernet and an L2 MPLS VLL
networks (two different Technology domains), but these two use the same
NorthBound interface to form one Provisioning domain (using one tool:
BLUEnet tool). Other objects of Provisioning domains are networks
that use certain types of control plane or common management tool (aka
north bound interface); like GMPLS, UCLP, DRAC, human NOC

• Neighbouring domain
A Neighbouring domain is a Linking/Termination domain that is physically
connected (layer 0) to an adjacent Linking domain for the path.
Neighboring domain is a Peering domain at layer 0.
The proposed path (LIDP) is build of multiple Neighbouring domains.

• Peering domain
A Peering domain is the next domain where a certain protocol layer is
terminated. This does not have to be the Neighbouring domain. For
example two IP workstations interconnected with Ethernet network, the
Peering domain of the IP layer are at the two workstations (User
domains) which are not the directly connected Neighbouring domain.

• Aggregated domain
One can groom/group Administrative/Technology/Provisioning domains
together over a large community and if that community acts as a single
entity then we call this an Aggregated domain.
UCLP is e.g. defined over many organisations, so it can be seen as a
single Aggregated domain. This can also be used for groomed/grouped
together networks for Premium IP (PIP) or (G)MPLS. An Aggregated domain
could be a Termination or a Linking domain.

Hope this helps in the discussion. I am planning to be by phone at the
Tuesday meeting of OGF-NML.

All the best,

Victor
--
Victor Reijs, Network Development Manager
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network