[Nml-wg] DCN glossary

Victor Reijs (work) victor.reijs at heanet.ie
Thu Jul 3 06:58:23 CDT 2008

Hello John and Freek,

John Vollbrecht wrote:
> 2) Freek seems to assume that adaptations occur only at links. In my
> model the hops in a path may be domains, for example.  The
> implication is that domains must be able to do adaptations.

In the SF the domains bother about the adaptation (and the adaptation
Parameters will be made compatible between PeeringDomains).
But at this moment I don't yet understand why an adaptation is part of
the link (in my definition a 'link' is in the most generic way a
physical link between two ports and I don't think that adaptation can be
in such a 'link'). But perhaps I misunderstand 'link'.

> 4) I have taken to using circuit as a path with specific resources
> assigned to it.

Sounds nice also, but did not we have SIDP (IDC::SIDP; Strict
InterDomain Path) for this?

> It is possible, for example, to have multiple
> circuits using the same path.  Circuits are what DCN creates over
> paths.  Adaptations take place on circuits in my view, not paths.

Don't share that view. 'Adapatations take place in circuits' (e.g. in a
domain/hop that is part of the entities that make up the circuit).

All the best,

Victor

P.S. An adaptation in the SF just adds Parameter(s) in a path
(IDC::LIDP; Loose InterDomian Path)) to be checking on compatibility.
And if compatability is possible, in the SIDP the adaptations will be
defined and set aside (does not have to be configured yet)..
--
Victor Reijs, Network Development Manager
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network