[Nml-wg] PerfSONAR schema

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Mon Feb 25 10:13:04 CST 2008

Aaron and Martin,

Thanks a lot for the UML schema. I just printed it, and will keep it
under my pillow :-).

A few questions.
First of all, I don't fully understand teh difference between domain and
network [1]. It was discussed, but not entirely clear by phone.

Second, the relation Port-Link is different from our relation
Interface-Link [2]. NDL has a many to one relation, while PerfSONAR has
a one to many relation (the opposite).

So in NDL, a (logical) interface can only be connected to ONE link (or
one broadcast segment [2]). A link can have multiple connected
interfaces (typically 2).

Can you explain the situation for PerfSONAR to me? Can a port be
connected to multiple links? How?

Regards,
Freek

[1] The difference in NDL between AdminDomain and NetworkDomain is:
NetworkDomain are simply grouping of *network elements*, while
AdminDomain is a grouping of *people* (=an organization): the people or
organization responsible for managing resources. The resources of an
AdminDomain could include CPU, vizualisation, etc. Not just network
elements. NetworkDomains can only include network resources.

[2] Link in NDL is a special case of a Broadcast network: a broadcast
network with two end points. I'll use the term Link for now.