[Nml-wg] Buckets

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Fri May 4 05:41:51 CDT 2007

Hi,

At the OGF meeting next Wednesday, I would like to have a discussion on
"buckets" (or, since the meeting is in England, perhaps "baskets" would
be a more proper wording).

Buckets are meant to split the broad range of topics that NML is
supposed to cover in smaller subtopics, were perhaps different subgroups
can decide which properties should go in which schema. In the way I
think about it, each bucket will be a separate schema or ontology.
Ideally, there should only be a few dependencies between the different
schemas/buckets.

Below is a list of buckets I propose. This list is a bit broad. I hope
that the NML-WG at the OGF in Manchester can decide which buckets are
on-topic, and which are off-topic for the NML-WG, or if there is a
better division in buckets.

Note that because the charter specifically noted not to be technology
specific, there are no technology specific buckets (e.g. there is no
"Ethernet" bucket).

Between brackets is an example list of the objects that could go in that
bucket. That doesn't mean it should go in that bucket: what goes in is
decided later, now is only the time to define the buckets. In fact, it
would be great if the "bucket filling team" determines there is an
existing bucket, erm, schema that can be re-used.

- topology (single layer)
  e.g. (virtual) devices, (virtual) interfaces, links, network
  connections
  Re-use existing terminology? e.g. ITU-T G.805, Graph theory, GMPLS...
- physical equipment
  e.g. physical devices, locations, geographic location
- organizational boundaries
  e.g. domains, owner domain, administrative domain, organization/people
- device/domain capabilities
  can switch (at which layer), interworking
- device configuration (current configuration, available labels)
- usage (path setup request, reservation ID, specific path)
- technology characteristics
  Thus meta-data to describe a technology, not technologies itself.
  e.g. layer, technology, adaptation
- circuit switched properties
  e.g. labels, channels, capacity
- packet switched properties
  e.g. source & destination labels, buffers, packet size, bandwidth
- Layer 1 specifics
  e.g. TDM, WDM, Fiber, UTP, wireless, Fiber bundles (ducts), OTN, ...
- Layer 2 specifics
  e.g. Ethernet (MAC + VLAN), ATM, PPP, L2TP, Myrinet/Infiniband, ...
- Layer 3+ specifics
  e.g. IP, TCP, ...

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra