[Nmc-wg] Result Code Redux - One last issue

Michael Bischoff Michael.bischoff at controplex.nl
Wed Sep 28 04:18:08 CDT 2011

Hello all,

I wanted to post this earlier but didn't got around to it,

Perhaps something to consider: having the version at the end makes it
more difficult to change the structure and to support multiply
versions in one client/service, especially if you don't force it to be
strictly a last single part:

 "http://schemas.ogf.org/nmc/status/"<STATUS_CATEGORY>"/"<STATUS_NAME>"/"<VERSION>"

and

201109/beta -> 201109.beta or 201109-beta (mandate that the version
bit will not consist out of '/' I would also recommend standardizing
the separation sign for this)
(ps don't think we need a day in there unless you want to make
multiply updates in a single month - which seems unlikely.)

>From a easy-to-parse point of view:
We need the version first to establish if we can interpret the status
regardless if the status we encounter is known. As such the version is
a more significant bit then what is currently left to it, as such I
would not put it at the end. Also client programmers might be tempted
to ignore the version bit given the version is at the end or least
significant spot, esp since we allow them to already ignore certain
preceding parts. Ignoring the version will lead to poorly functioning
clients. Moving the version to the left doesn't prevent this but does
require them to actively ignore it while at the same time doesn't
force them to do more work to ignore it.

"http://schemas.ogf.org/nmc/status/"<VERSION>"/"<STATUS_CATEGORY>"/"<STATUS_NAME>"/
(or do we tie things to a version of nmc as a whole:
"http://schemas.ogf.org/nmc/"<VERSION>"/status/"<STATUS_CATEGORY>"/"<STATUS_NAME>"/
?

Also dates are good and bad - for example with dates you can't declare
forwards compatibility - 1.0 1.1, 1.2 - structure stayed the same all
messages in 1.0 are available in 1.1 1.2. So if you encounter a known
status and only the last part has changed it's safe to interpret. 1.0
-> 2.0 semantics and or structure has changed. Then again - forcing
clients to update might not be a bad thing at all.

Best regards,

Michael