[Nmc-wg] Result codes in MDM RRD MA and LS - action from last conf call

romradz at man.poznan.pl romradz at man.poznan.pl
Thu May 13 09:43:57 CDT 2010

> Moving to the new model will be difficult because meanings of errors
> may overlap. Let's take 3 examples mentioned above. We can assign them to
>
> clienterror/bed_request, clienterror/event_type_not_allowed,
> clienterror/not_acceptable
>
> but this one:
>
> clienterror/bed_request, clienterror/event_type_not_allowed,
> clienterror/bed_request
>
> also provides true info about error situations.
>

> I'm thinking that maybe we should say that the first part of result code
> URL is standard but the second part is not controled by NMC.
>

> Standard parts of result codes:
>   http://perfsonar.net/status/informational/
>   http://perfsonar.net/status/successful/
>   http://perfsonar.net/status/redirection/
>   http://perfsonar.net/status/clienterror/
>   http://perfsonar.net/status/servererror/
>
> Example of complete result code:
>   http://perfsonar.net/status/informational/something_which_is_proposed_by_service_maintainer_or_owner

Still thinking about it :) Pieces in result code like successful,
clienterror, servererror are not enough for us for automatic
categorization done by a receiver (e.g. client app)? Second part of result
code would be just human readable. Do our client apps use detailed result
code information for automatic actions? If we needed a more detailed
result code for a specific automatic action we could add it to NMC.

Roman