[Nmc-wg] pS Result Codes - proposal

Roman Lapacz romradz at man.poznan.pl
Sun Mar 14 14:33:11 CDT 2010

Hi Aaron,

Aaron Brown wrote:
> This looks good in general.
>
> Some comments:
>
> 1. Instead of having "clienterror" and "servererror" as top-level
> 'things':
>
> error/client
> error/server

The question is how much we want to follow HTTP status  codes standard.
The initial proposal tries to be very close to it.  On the other hand
more hierarchical approach may be more handy for us.

> 2. badrequest seems almost a catch-all. (e.g. eventtypenotallowed is a
> form of badrequest, etc). If it's for a more specific error, it'd
> probably be good to define that error. In general, it'd probably be
> good to detail when some of these errors get used (e.g. use badrequest
> unless one of the more specific errors is applicable).

'badrequest' derives directly from existing HTTP status codes. I have
included them but I'm not sure we need them. In the proposal pS result
codes start from x30 (x31, x32, x33, ...).

> 3. It might make sense to make it a bit more hierarchical (though this
> may be overkill), e.g.:
>
> http://perfsonar.net/status/error/client/badrequest/eventtypenotallowed/

hmm, we could say that all (or most of) client errors could be under
'badrequest' :)

> This would make it easier for clients to understand new error types. e.g.
>
> http://perfsonar.net/status/error/client/unauthorized/invalidauthenticationtoken/
>
> The client wouldn't need to understand anything below "unauthorized",
> to display a "authorization denied" error, but it could provide more
> information if it understood.

agree

> 4. I'm not a big fan of the result codes as having some text in the
> url makes it notedly more readable (not that users would read the
> event types, but for developers).

Right and that is why I included result code numbers as possible
alternative.

Cheers,
Roman