[Nmc-wg] Meeting Notes - OGF29

Michael Bischoff Michael.bischoff at controplex.nl
Wed Jun 23 05:47:59 CDT 2010

Thanks Jason,

some comments on the notes:

'' Some discussion on the agnostics treatment of SOAP/HTTP. It may be
enough to forget about the idea of profile and go with a paragraph for
information purposes, e.g. "done using SOAP over HTTP" ''
personally, I'd rather see, even if you can trim it down to a single
paragraph, that it would be in at least a separate attachment. This to
allow updates to either part of the spec to occur without blocking due
to the other part being out of sync. This problem only grows when
there are more profiles.

Not sure if it was poor wording, but saying something along the lines
of 'informational purposes' is dangerous. If people use or 'bind' to
the transport protocol differently then things simply aren't going to
inter-operable. Which defeats the purpose of NMC entirely.

Section 8 Security Considerations
- I agree with the general train of thought, it should be trimmed.
specifically the first two chapters, but I had trouble removing them
whist not coming across as
'motherhood and apple pie' / 'it is because I say so'.

The more concrete part of the notes need to be clarified.
'Subsequent revisions may describe Auth etc.' and 'AUTH is coming, describe it
somewhere else.' it's only referenced, not described or defined? These
parts could be
trimmed further by referencing to the currently non-existent AA
document, the problem is
that you create a circular reference/dependency.

'Is it needed?' and 'DDoS considerations for an XML protocol may be
overkill.' The correct handling of security aspects inhibits behavior,
for this behavior to be managed communication is required, which
requires protocol extensions. Even more important perhaps, is saying
what you don't do. Which ties into my next point..

Does everyone have the same idea on what the intended audience is? I
personally love to write stuff in a 'academic' way but if NMC is to
survive outside it's sheltered position and actually get picked up by
a greater community out there, you have to account for the average
programmer and
system administrator out there. When I say account I don't mean target
or write for specifically but
neither to go out of our way to make it difficult to comprehend for said group.

Adoption of NMC is goal right? writing things down isn't a goal in it's own end.

-Michael