[Nmc-wg] Review of documents

Jeff W.Boote boote at internet2.edu
Fri Jan 22 14:21:36 CST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Jason Zurawski wrote:
> There are specific cases where the translation program that we were
> using at the time (Sun's MSV - I thought development stopped in 2007
> but
> I now see some updates: https://msv.dev.java.net/) could not handle
> conversion properly.  Specifically it is possible in RELAX to
> construct
> an 'or' type relationship between an attribute and a child element,
> ex:
>
>   <parent type="something" />
>
> vs
>
>   <parent>
>     <type>something</type>
>   </parent>

Side comment...

This is a perfect example of the kind of thing *I think* we should be
trying to clean up and remove from the 'standardized' version of the
protocol. (It is fine to be very general in a schema and during
prototyping when you are not sure what you need - once we encode it
into a standardized protocol message, we should reduce the number of
ways the information can be rendered so clients can be more simple.)

jeff