[Nmc-wg] Base doc

Jason Zurawski zurawski at internet2.edu
Fri Jan 15 07:16:01 CST 2010

Hi Candido;

>> Let me try to clear up the eventType explanation anyway:
>>
>> - multiple eventTypes in a single metadata are possible and common,
>> e.g. something from the 'characteristic' namespace and the 'tool'
>> namespace.  An example would be SNMP data:
>>
>>  http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/tools/snmp/2.0
>>  http://ggf.org/ns/nmwg/characteristic/utilization/2.0
>
> Yes, I think it's very well explained in the nmc-base document. Maybe we
> can add a row in tables specifying if the element is multiple or not...

Good idea, I will add this to the todo list(s).

>> - The example you are referring to (page 30 in the nmc doc I think?)
>> is poorly worded.  The situation I was trying to describe is merging
>> metadata where the eventTypes are not compatible.  In this case
>> 'errors' is very different than 'utilization' and shouldn't be
>> merged.  I will place a note in this to clear this up down the road.
>>
>> Does this help a little bit?
>>
>> Chaining is a hard concept, and this represents my view of how it
>> works.  I may have some details wrong.  I think that Martin, Jeff, and
>> Roman should carefully read these sections to check my accuracy in
>> describing things.
>
> I think it's clearer in the nmc-base document. However, if I've
> understood it well, the document explains some general rules about
> chaining but it's the service which decides how it will do it, isn't it?
> So, there isn't any standard (or automatic) way of doing?

The procedures in place could vary from service to service, and a goal
of this group should be to standardize the procedure so it is uniform.
I have added TODO items regarding chaining so some of the original
implementors and designers can talk and hopefully record things
accurately.

> Also, there is a typo in the first line in 7.1.5.1. I cannot see the the
> whole value of the eventType.

Fixed, thanks for finding this.

-jason