[Nmc-wg] Transport protocol

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Fri Feb 19 00:18:01 CST 2010

Jeff W.Boote wrote:
> A protocol specification should indicate more than the valid
> messages. It should also define the context in which those messages
> are valid. If it is possible to cleanly separate the messages from
> some of the underlying support we receive from soap/http than we
> should structure it that way. (I believe to a large degree this is
> possible.)
>
> But, I also think it is absolutely reasonable for us to indicate
> specifically which lower layer transport we are using once we get to
> some of the more intricate issues. For example, I would much rather
> depend on soap and/or http for authentication headers than define that
> in our messages. If we separate this cleanly, I think we can indicate
> that we are only doing a 'full' protocol specification for using these
> messages in a soap/http context and that future protocol
> specifications can indicate how they are applicable for other transports.
>
> Will this strategy work for people?
Perhaps indeed the protocol should be documented on different levels.
My view is currently
- I am reluctant of locking everything down to SOAP, on the basis of
existing implementation.
- There are number of (non-perfsonar) services nowadays that offer both
SOAP and REST interface. The goal of this duality is not
interoperability, but flexibility and ease of adoption. A service can
offer both, and let the clients decide which one to use. This might be a
reasonable goal for NMC.
- Security related (and perhaps other) solutions may rely on transport
protocol, and this should be documented , yet not locking the possible
solutions to a single protocol.

Best regards,
Nina