[Nmc-wg] Transport protocol

Martin Swany swany at cis.udel.edu
Tue Feb 16 07:52:07 CST 2010

Hi Freek,

> In practice, only XML in SOAP over HTTP seems to be used. To we want to
> impose that? I think it should be, though I am fine if it is either in
> the NMC base document or in another document (which has the advantage
> that if we later want to change the transport protocol, it is not
> necessary to update the base document).

I think that's already "imposed" and so we should document it as
such.  I think you raise a good point, in that it shouldn't need to
be a requirement forever.  If we are careful (and maybe not even
too careful) we could have the WS encoding be any of the standard
varieties.  So I, for one, would vote for also saying that -- "it is XML/
SOAP/HTTP now, but needn't be forever."

> Beside describing the transport protocol, which document is to defined
> the preferred TCP server ports for a given service? I presume the
> documents describing the individual services should define the later.

There are conventions, but as the are registered in the information
service, they can change.  The conventions could be added as
informative text, as you suggest.

best,
martin