[I2G2-Proto] [nm-wg] Specifying units

Jeff W. Boote boote at internet2.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:26:24 CDT 2005

Martin Swany wrote:
> I think that trying to mandate a "best practice" is a slippery slope. I vote
> for unambiguous specification and easy translation.

I agree with this completely.

>> Nevertheless, if a service returns capacity and utilization in the same
>> message, it would be nice to have them both in the same units (unlike the
>> current case with Perfsonar prototype where capacity is bps and utilization
>> is octets per second)
>>
>> Question here is: Which option is ideal? Should we provide capacity and
>> utilization in the same units in our prototype?
>

> We can let everyone else weigh in, but if the units are specified (as  they
> can easily be) then why not just divide and convert?  That seems easier to me
> than forcing one or the other into a less-than-natural format.

I believe this is the only possible long-term solution. But, I do think we need
to work on the way the units information is communicated.

(I think this boils down to the same issue we have been grappling with
everywhere else. How do we normalize? If we can solve that in the general case,
I think this can be solved in the same way.)

jeff