[nm-wg] developer guide progress

Dan Gunter dkgunter at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 10 16:59:18 CST 2005

Hi all,

Not much to report on the developer guide, sorry. But I did find the
time to develop a "helper" tool for generating WSDL files.

Basically, my problem with WSDL is that it has an extremely complex and
redundant syntax for the really very simple task of specifying that you
want the output message to be "X" and the input message to be "Y".

So, I wrote a Python program that takes as input a template WSDL files
with all the crazy namespace junk filled in, and a configuration file
(in Windows .ini format, because there's a Python module to read that)
that specifies just the few actual parameters that I need: namespace for
service, name of service operation, name of XML Schema file, namespace
of the XML Schemas, and the actual network location of the service.

I tested it on traceroute and it seemed to work. Steps performed:

1) translate *.rnc -> *.xsd, using Trang. Attached just .xsd files.
2) write config file (nmwg_service.cfg)
3) run ezwsdl.py with the config file as output, and "template.wsdl"
providing the bulk of the WSDL info -> traceroute.wsdl
4) check validity of results by generating python stubs from .wsdl file

Only step #4 is python-specific. It would be nice if someone could try
it with the Java, too. Also, I was thinking that we could extend this to
be the standard approach for generating the WSDL files for all our
examples (iperf, ping, etc.) and document the whole mess in the
developer guide. But then, I need to sleep occasionally. Any volunteers
to help out with this?

-Dan

p.s. Mark, is there going to be a call tomorrow morning?