[nm-wg] Re: [I2G2-Proto] NMWG schema comments (mainly about IPv6 and multicast)

Dan Gunter dkgunter at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 26 10:15:47 CDT 2005

Hi there,

I will add my two cents, with the caveats that I'm not very directly
involved in this work any more and I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

>> Endpoint =
>>        attribute value { xsd:string } &
>>        attribute type { "IPv4address" | "IPv6address" |
>> "IPv4hostname" | "IPv6hostname } &
>>        attribute port { xsd:int }?
>

>> Address =
>>        xsd:string &
>>        attribute type { "IPv4" | "IPv6" }

I agree with both of you here, so why not make a specialized sub-schema
for IP addresses? In a new namespace, perhaps
"http://ns.ggf.org/nmwg/topo/ip/" or whatever the current incantation
is. At the risk of being a strict constructionist, I suggest you could
even have "../ip/4/" and "../ip/6/" sub-schemas to describe specifics of
each protocol version. Either way, I think it's great if someone tries
to sub-class all these things that are intended as general, as it is
often the case that something too specific has crept in, like a thief in
the night.

>> COMMENT #3
>> ----------
>> Just a question. I don't understand InterfaceContent in nmwgtopo.rnc
>>
>> There is ipAddress and ifAddress. What is the difference? I guess
>> ipAddress is the address used to reach the router while ifAddress is
>> configured on the monitored interface? Maybe we should make that more
>> explicit?
>>

> The ipAddress more or less the address of the chassis; it is an
> administrative address that may be running some form of management
> software.  The ifAddress is the particular address of an interface.
> We have kept both as a courtesy to implementation designers; this may
> prevent a forced lookup of an address saving valuable time and effort.

huh? if it's the "administrative" address, you should call it that. But
I don't see this as generally applicable. Let caching be handled by the
implementation.

I would think that what you need is the interface name/index and
addresses. Given the note below, organized as a list of (address,
interface name) pairs, where either or both can be repeated. Imitating
the brilliant representation of traceroute :-)

-Dan