[nm-wg] Current Schema changes?

Dan Gunter dkgunter at lbl.gov
Wed Dec 15 19:16:46 CST 2004

>>Lastly, I've been reviewing the developers guide sent out, and I was
>>wondering if Martin or Dan could just summarize the benefits of this
>>schema over the current one. I just want to make sure I
>>understand why we
>>are headed in this direction.
>>

>Not my bag baby ;-) Over to Martin and Dan....

The hope is that new schemas will be easier to extend to incorporate
new/changed measurements, topologies, etc. For existing measurements
like traceroute, ping, etc., they aren't really easier (well, harder if
you count the fact that there are already implementations of the other
schemas).  By "easier" I mean both in terms of writing the WSDL/XML junk
and in terms of actual implementation.

This is of course only a fond hope (or, a bold claim, after a few beers)
at the moment. We need some implementation experience to verify it.
Martin has promised to belch out some Perl code as a prototype. Details
on how this was/is done will go into the developer's guide.

Going forward on the current schemas is still useful, IMHO, because it
provides solutions (to problems in the real world) that can then just be
"ported" to the new schemas. Martin tends to claim that the appropriate
XSLT could do this automatically, but since nobody in the group really
knows XSLT, I suspect the process will be much more manual.

-Dan