[lsg-rg] new impetus...?

Richard Sinnott ros at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 14:57:11 CST 2006

Hi Folks,
it seems clear that there needs to be some more impetus to this group at GGF.

Here are a couple of ideas which we might take forward/discuss. I'd welcome agreements/disagreements - silence is normally golden but not on email lists!!!

Split into a healthGrid group and a life science group (here I'm thinking of a bioinformatics Grid)

1. Let us develop a real HealthGrid with folk who are interested in this area (I am one and we have already built various prototype systems accessing and using "representative" patient data sets using existing solutions across the NHS here in Scotland).

2. Let us develop a real life science Grid. We are interested in this and have bioinformatics data Grids and compute Grids already in place.

Is this of interest? I think it will help to make this group have a goal. We might want to agree on the scope of these, e.g. whether we just want to look at exploring basic secure services for access to and usage of healthcare data sets, incorporating anonymisation and de-anonymisation scenarios, data linkage perhaps from patient records to imaging data etc.

We are already working with advanced authorisation infrastructures using results from GGF standards groups such as AuthZ and ShibGrid. This group (in my humble opinion should be doing these kinds of things) if it is to be "GGF". If it isn't using GGF standards and technologies then one coule argue that it should be handled separately, e.g. through other conferences and workshops.

What do folk think?

Rich

PS I am happy to provide more information on what we are up to at the National e-Science Centre, and am willing to lead/be involved in both of these Grid development activities if there is interest from folk that it should happen. Let's do stuff!