[loa-bof] Fwd: [IDM] level of assurance/in-person proofing ldap attribute

Alan Sill Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Thu Oct 9 16:23:47 CDT 2008

Copy of a thread from the Educause IdM work group

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Pål Axelsson <Pal.Axelsson at ITS.UU.SE>
> Date: October 9, 2008 4:04:29 PM CDT
> To: "IDM at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU" <IDM at LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
> Subject: [IDM] SV: [IDM] SV: [IDM] level of assurance/in-person
> proofing ldap attribute
> >

> Hi again,
>
> It's as usual very nice to have an open specification but I think
> that in a
> couple of years we'll see a harmonization on standard values for
> eduPersonAssurance. The reason I think that this will happen is
> primarily
> two. SPs want to have the same setup values for different customers in
> different federations. And local campus administrators do not want
> to handle
> multiple values due to the workload. I look forward to the process
> regarding
> this.
>
> I've already seen an attempt define this type harmonization of LoA
> in an
> URN. There is a OASIS draft from July this year that in chapter 3
> defines 4
> URNs for NIST 800-63. The values are
> "urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:post:ac:classes:nist-800-63:v1-0-2:1",
> "urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:post:ac:classes:nist-800-63:v1-0-2:2",
> "urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:post:ac:classes:nist-800-63:v1-0-2:3" and
> "urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:post:ac:classes:nist-800-63:v1-0-2:4".
> For more
> information please see "Level of Assurance Authentication Context
> Profiles
> for SAML 2.0", http://wiki.oasis-open.org/security/SAML2LOAAuthnCtxProfile
> .
>
> Pål Axelsson

>>> for this is that in a federation the values is defined for level of
>>> assurance. If the a school is a member of different federations they
>>> have
>>> different values for each federation. It can solved with a value
>>> translator
>>> or that federations use the same value set.
>>>
>>> Pål Axelsson

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics
TTU

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Admin 233, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu   ph. 806-742-4350  fax 806-742-4358  :