[jsdl-wg] OGF JSDL : We need to define which incarnation (view) of the JSDL document we are trying to specify

Etienne URBAH urbah at lal.in2p3.fr
Thu Nov 17 10:01:27 CST 2011

Michel, Philipp and all,

+------------------+
|  JSDL Documents  |
+------------------+
Inside the OGF JSDL WG, we are trying to improve the specifications of
the JSDL document.

But during the lifetime of a job, there are at least 3 incarnations (or
views) of its JSDL document :

User JSDL Document
------------------
-  This is the document provided by the user submitting the job.

-  The syntax of this document should permit abstraction and should
provide flexibility.

-  In particular, it is advisable that this document permits :
    -- Static 'OR' operators for requirements as described at
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6522
    -- Conditional requirements as described at
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6521

Contextualized JSDL Document
----------------------------
-  Out of the User JSDL Document, a matchmaker service produces this
Contextualized JSDL Document and submits it to an LRMS (Batch System),
which has to understand and execute it.

-  Therefore, the matchmaker service must solve the flexibility of the
User JSDL Document against available resources, and the produded
Contextualized JSDL Document must be deterministic.

-  In particular, the Contextualized JSDL Document :
    -- may still contain static 'OR' operators for requirements as
described at http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6522
    -- should NOT contain conditional requirements as described at
http://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6521

Activity Document
-----------------
-  This Activity Document contains only timestamped history, logs,
traces, ... about the job, for purposes of monitoring, forensics,
security audits, stats, data mining, ...

-  Therefore, this Activity Document should contain the User JSDL
Document and the Contextualized JSDL Document, but only as embedded text.

-  It is advisable that this Activity Document indicates, for each user
requirement, if the matchmaker service or the LRMS (Batch system) was
able to really fulfill this user requirement.

+-------------------------------------+
|  Target of the JSDL specifications  |
+-------------------------------------+
My personal opinion is :

-  The specifications of the Contextualized JSDL Document are already
provided by each LRMS (Batch system), such as Condor, LSF, PBS, SGE, ...

-  The target of the JSDL specifications which we have to improve is the
User JSDL Document.

-  We should also take into account the existence of the 2 other
documents, and describe the impact of the JSDL specifications on them
when relevant.

+--------------+
|  Conclusion  |
+--------------+
-  Please study carefully the definitions which I gave above for the 3
documents.  Do not hesitate to criticize and provide suggestions for
improvements.

-  Please provide also your opinion on which document is the target of
the JSDL specifications.

Thank you in advance for your work.

Best regards.

Etienne URBAH         LAL, Univ Paris-Sud, IN2P3/CNRS
                       Bat 200   91898 ORSAY    France
Tel: +33 1 64 46 84 87      Skype: etienne.urbah
Mob: +33 6 22 30 53 27      mailto:urbah at lal.in2p3.fr