[jsdl-wg] Fwd: JSDL 2.0 BOF?

Andreas Savva andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Sep 29 21:21:48 CDT 2010

Andrew,

JSDL-WG has been discussing seriously, as far as I am concerned, for the
last couple of OGFs what to do once the Activity specification is
done--now in PC so that's ok. There is a fairly well understood set of
next steps. I'll outline the top two here:

1. SPMD 2.0
   - Start with an experience document for SPMD 1.0 and use the
requirements generated for SPMD 2.0
   - Morris has the most comprehensive set of requirements, which he
presented to JSDL-WG last March. One can say that there is some work along
this path already, albeit very slowly. We need some additional involvement.
   - I'll take the blame for not starting the experience document over the
summer. Busy with real work (tm).

2. Adoption of GLUE XML schema
   - Pending on a GLUE normative XML schema published by *OGF*. Work on
this seems to have restarted recently, but I am not sure what the exact
state is.
   - Requires cooperation with BES-WG since we have to narrow down to the
set useful for job submission
   - GFD.137 outlines using GLUE and XPath/XQuery for resource
requirements. Personally I *don't care* how requirements are expressed as
long as there is sufficient consensus. This usually means that there are
people willing to work on something...

I know people like to say 'JSDL 2.0' but, really, in the best tradition of
divide-and-conquer there are a set of well-understood steps that can
evolve things forward. As such I do not see the need for a BOF. I think it
would actually be counterproductive because we'd go back to talking about
what to do rather than doing it. The real question is whether there are
people willing to work on these. A related question is whether they would
be willing to work in JSDL-WG. At the last OGF it wasn't clear to me that
this is the case.

Do you have other ideas on what should be at the top of list?

Andreas

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:19:48 +0900, Andreas Savva
<andreas.savva at jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> [Posting on behalf of Andrew]

Andreas Savva
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd