[jsdl-wg] Discussion regarding an implementation of JSDL

Piotr Domagalski piotr.domagalski at fedstage.com
Fri Jan 16 16:12:18 CST 2009

Hi Arnie,

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Arnie Miles <adm35 at georgetown.edu> wrote:
>I represent the Thebes middleware consortium, which is hosted at
> Georgetown University.
>
> One of the things the Thebes consortium is working on is a job
> acceptance service that can accept jobs, translate them to DRMAA, and
> submit them to job schedulers. Our intention is to include the ability
> to accept SAML assertions to make policy decisions.
>
> We currently use an axis web service that takes JSDL and uses DRMAA to
> submit the job to Sun Grid Engine. It is rudimentary at this point.
>
> We're interested in projects that are working in similar arenas, and
> we're interested in thoughts from the JSDL team about recommendations,
> suggestions, etc.

PSNC (Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center) has been working on
the exact same piece of software, called SMOA Computing, for some time
now. I've been involved in this project for some time. Major features
include:

- C implementation using gSOAP, it uses SMOA Core, our library with
standard interface for service configuration, loadable modules, and
other neat stuff.
- SMOA Core has modules for various authentication mechanisms and
authorization policies. It has an ability to accept SAML assertions as
an authentication mechanism. Besides, you may currently use plain
HTTP, SSL (with client authentication), GSI or WS-Security Username.
- DRMAA interface to job schedulers (we mostly use it with SGE and
LSF). Remote users are mapped to local uids.
- Web Service interface compliant with OGSA Basic Execution Service
Version 1.0 enchanced with our extensions.
- JSDL HPC Profile Application Extension, Version 1.0.
- HPC File Staging Profile, Version 1.0.
- HPC Basic Profile, Version 1.0.
- It's customizable with easy to write Python or C plugins. For
example, one can write a plugin that reacts to job state changes (e.g.
sends out a notification).
- Includes Advance Reservation port that allows you to reserve
resources in advance and then submit jobs within these reservations.
Supported with SGE and LSF.
- Work is currently under way to implement JSDL Parameter Sweep.

Cheers,

--
Piotr Domagalski