[jsdl-wg] Power requirement of jobs

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Mar 25 11:45:10 CDT 2008

Gargi B Dasgupta wrote:
> Has there been any thought or discussion on how to represent power usage
> of a job within the jsdl requirement.
> Maybe one way to derive the power requirement is from the cpu, memory,
> network etc. requirments  and map it to power models of the
> execution environment. But has there been any thought of a job
> explicitly specifying power requirements.

You mean power as in "quantity measured in Watts"?

Assuming that's the case, I'd tend to view it as a quality-of-service
(i.e. non-functional) requirement, and also one that is out of our
current scope. As such, you'd probably want to use a custom extension
term to describe the power requirements, and something like WS-Agreement
to drive the enforcement. (OTOH, I don't have access to any sort of
system at the moment which could support such a term anyway; all our
production kit doesn't know anything about its power consumption.)

Hope this helps (a little).

Donal.