[jsdl-wg] Jsdl-Posix Application Query

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 21 05:13:04 CST 2007

Nicholas Loulloudes wrote:
> In the JSDL Schema (Page 46, Paragraph: 8.1.1.1) it specifies that a
> POSIX style application MUST appear only once if it is present as a
> sub-element of the JSDL Application element.
>
> If a POSIX style application DOES NOT appear under the JSDL Application
> Element, can it appear more than once in a JSDL file? If yes, what is
> the maximum number of occurrences?

It is syntactically legal to put it multiple times as a child of any
element that has an extensible content model (i.e. xsd:any) other than
the Application element (as you note). _BUT_ we do not define the
meaning of the resulting document if you do that; it's not our place to
prevent you from blowing your own foot off... :-)

(Many drafts did have restrictions on where you could put elements, but
it turns out that's a bad idea as it prevents good forms of reuse as
well as bad.)

Donal.