[jsdl-wg] Regarding Data Staging Elements in JSDL

Gargi B Dasgupta gdasgupt at in.ibm.com
Wed Apr 11 03:33:18 CDT 2007

Hi all:

I have a question related to the Data Staging Element in JSDL.

>From my understanding JSDL captures scheduling requirements for individual
jobs. Also the Data Staging elements in JSDL specifies the input and
output data needed/created by an application.

Since JSDL does not capture inter-job dependencies, to define a workflow I
would be using a flow language.

My question is:  In case of a workflow, with multiple job steps, and data
transferring in and out between these steps,
what is the natural home for these data staging elements.

Is it in the workflow or in the individual JSDL elements. Will the Data
Staging elements remain in JSDL and then transfers needed in the workflow
be inferred from these JSDLs. Or will the staging be explicitly defined in
the flow.

Would like to know the group's thoughts on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Gargi

Gargi B Dasgupta
IBM India Research Lab