[jsdl-wg] HPC Profile conf call Wed Nov 29 8am Pacific time: post-SC2006 discussion

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Tue Nov 21 21:26:53 CST 2006

On Nov 21, Marty Humphrey modulated:
> RangeValue_Type element clarifications
>
> -- If a single min value and a single max value are to be
>    specified, should it be done with Boundary_Type’s or a single
>    Range_Type?

They are semantically equivalent.  The boundary parts are for defining
semi-spaces, which cannot be expressed with the range pair.

> -- I assume Exact takes precedence over any specified
> Boundary_Type or Range_Type’s since Exact is a MUST and the others are
> optional.

I do not think that is a correct assumption. I am not familiar with
the "MUST" issue you are focusing on.  What version of what document
are you referencing here?

The entire range-value element is meant to be expressing a disjunction
of simple semi-space, exact, or interval constraints.  So, if I
expressed:

  OR          [the combining logic of all range value elements]
    x > 0     [as a boundary sub-element]
    x = 4     [as an exact match sub-element]
    5 < x < 7 [as a range sub-element]

it would be semantically equivalent to just the first constraint x >
0.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski