[jsdl-wg] Proposed Extension draft document

A S McGough asm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 07:17:38 CDT 2006

Michel, All,

In a discussion with a GridSAM user who has been asking for parameter
sweep functionality for some time a use case came up that I'd not
thought about before and it's not clear how we could do it with the
current extension.

He has a use case where he wants to perform a parameter sweep using a
program which takes a configuration file as the only input. The filename
is always the same (lets call it input.data) and the program has no way
to specify a different file name.

I can't see at the moment a way to deal with this without altering the
file staging elements which then places a dependency between file
staging and parameter sweep - not sure if this is a good idea. I suppose
it could be done by placing a wrapper around the program... again not
sure if this is good.

Any thoughts?

steve..

Michel Drescher wrote:
> Folks,
>
> here's a write-up of the parameter sweep extension.
>
> If possible, I'd like to have a discussion about it on the upcoming call.
>
> Cheers,
> Michel

Dr A. Stephen McGough                       http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~asm
Technical Coordinator, London e-Science Centre, Imperial College London,
Department of Computing, 180 Queen's Gate, London SW7 2BZ, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-594-8409                        fax: +44 (0)207-581-8024