[jsdl-wg] [Fwd: [members] OASIS TC Call for Participation: OASIS UnitsML TC]

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 13 04:16:34 CDT 2006

Andreas Savva wrote:
> FYI. This might be of interest to anyone who felt sad when we removed
> the definition for the definitions for Units from version 0.9 (or so) of
> the JSDL.

I don't feel sad at all. What they're proposing looks crackers to me,
with an end result of much software having to be written to just detect
if anyone is doing anything odd in a particular situation. Our approach
of fixing the units is much better. :-)

> (Donal, does the Usage Record schema still include units definitions?)

Yes. A policy decision[*] was taken that the UR v1 schema will be as
close as possible (except for its namespace, which will follow GFD.58)
to that which was published for the second public comment, and that we
will work on a v2 which will address the major concerns (i.e. those that
require structural schema changes) from the public comments. This has
meant leaving the unit mess in there, despite the fact that it means
that it is legal to express quantities in some very odd units.

Donal.
[* I'm not sure I 100% agree with the decision, but I surely don't
    disagree enough to go against it. :-) ]