[jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Karl Czajkowski karlcz at univa.com
Fri Jun 9 09:49:06 CDT 2006

For clarity, I should add that I was not intending to exclude any
performance or dynamic availability indicators. I was merely trying to
emphasize that what is needed is something predictive: the types of
jobs that are acceptable, which ought to include "terms of service"
parameters such as scheduling response time in a non-trivial QoS
environment.

This is not the same thing as an administrative overview, because the
full resource set is meaningless without taking into account the
operating policies (min/max job sizes and job durations) and the
availability of the backing resources as influenced by the
(site-specific) scheduling policy and load.  And of course, this
predictive data will exist in a continuum of precision, accuracy, and
determinism.

I don't want my statement below to be misconstrued as saying the
user-level discovery is easy. On the contrary, it is MUCH more
difficult than merely enumerating resources for an administrative user
or "console" application.

Oxana makes a point later on that I also would endorse. In the absence
of good solutions to this problem, the administrative view is
necessary to allow fallback. The status quo of our field is that users
are "application administrators" who make all sorts of cunning
decisions to coax the system into behaving more optimally than it
ought to based on its own internal capabilities.  I don't think one of
these views can be addressed to the exclusion of the other.

karl

On Jun 09, Karl Czajkowski modulated:

--
Karl Czajkowski