[jsdl-wg] Future plans for JSDL

Brisard, Fred D Fred.Brisard at ca.com
Thu Feb 16 07:18:56 CST 2006

Hi Steve,

My comments --

[Slide 3]
Consider adding "Conditional data staging" - that is, allow some form of
conditional processing of data staging.  For example, on stage in, it
would be useful to support the capability of the same data being staged
from more than one source in case one of the sources is unavailable.  On
stage out, it would be useful to only stage out data if the program ran
correctly - possibly even detecting a result value and staging data out
based on that value.

Regarding the item "Relationship to CDDLM" - The relationship regarding
data staging with CDDLM is confusing to me.  I believe that data staging
is a "provisioning" issue yet we seem to accept that data staging is
acceptable within JSDL and other forms of provisioning are not.  Maybe
we should be identifying required resources in JSDL that reference
entities within CDDLM.  These entities could be anything related to
provisioning.  Even the concept of the machine attributes could be
handled this way.  Maybe JSDL should get out of the business of
identifying specific resource information and just refer to resources
known to CDDLM.

[Slide 4]

Title should be Application types and adjust body of slide

Consider "workflow" as a job type.  Workflows can typically be invoked
as a web service, but we delineate other job types such as "Scripting
Language" that can be specified as command line jobs so why not specify
workflow as a job type.

[Slide 5]

Regarding "workflow" - maybe a JSDL document is just a workflow
activity.

[Slide 6]

Regarding "Scheduling to ..." - would data availability be covered under
"events"?

[Overall]

There are lots of good thoughts here; and lots of opportunity for more
hard work.  I continue to be concerned with the large number of GGF
specifications and their relationships.  OGSA-BES is trying to integrate
components created using these specs, but I believe that we still need a
better understanding of the overall architecture that binds these
components.

Best regards, Fred

Fred Brisard
fred.brisard at ca.com