[jsdl-wg] [Fwd: Proposed extension]

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 14 18:32:01 CDT 2006

Michel Drescher wrote:
> Hi Peter, all
>
> Peter Lane wrote:
>> What I've been doing with GRAM is to add an extension element to
>> JobDescription instead of JobDefinition which is an array of
>> JobDescription elements. This allows for the top-level JobDescription
>> to act as a defaults document. This is useful if you're doing things
>> like parameter sweeps. The executable, directory, etc can be specified
>> once and only those items that differ between subjobs are specified
>> explicitly in the subjob JobDescription elements.
>
> You got me confused here. You allow a jsdl:JobDescription to contain
> other jsdl:JobDescription elements? I reckon that this would be a change
> to JSDL rather an extension, right?

No, I am using a wrapping element for the subjob list:

<jsdl:JobDescription>
   . . .
   <gram:SubjobDescriptions>
     <jsdl:JobDescription>
       . . .
     </jsdl:JobDescription>
     <jsdl:JobDescription>
       . . .
     </jsdl:JobDescription>
     . . .
   </gram:SubjobDescriptions>
</jsdl:JobDescription>

Thus namespace="##other" is not violated.

>> I also think the ID attribute is perhaps redundant. JobIdentification
>> has a JobName element that seems like it should be sufficient for
>> uniquely identifying a subjob. Or is this not how the authors
>> envisioned JobName's use?
>
> The jsdl:JobName element is of descriptive nature instead of uniquely
> identifying a job. So in that sense, I think a xsd:ID may be necessary
> on the atomic job description, using "atomic" here inn the scope of
> defining a single execution job (leaving data staging out of scope for
> the moment).

I guess I don't see anything really wrong with referencing a descriptive job name that only has to
be unique within the context of the JSDL document.

Peter