[jsdl-wg] Final call on JSDL 1.0

A S McGough asm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 05:15:59 CDT 2005

Guys,

Before this becomes a huge religious war over document formats can I
rule this out of scope!

All the publicly made available documents on the GGF web page are in PDF
format.

If we're at the point where people are more willing to argue over file
formats that problems in the spec then we are surely finished with 1.0
and should pass it out to the community and get on with the next grand
challenge.

steve..

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Michel Drescher wrote:
>
>> I am not concerned of copyright, I am concerned of the following:
>>
>> a) hidden, historic text fragments people may unleash (un)intentionally
>>    [see several issues where highly sensitive political documents
>> unleashed that
>>    correct data has been changed to incorrect contents to suite the
>> political party.
>>    Use Google to search for hidden historic content in Word documents.]
>

> Since the document is still a draft, I'd imagine that the fact that it
> is in a format suitable for drafts would not be a major issue. I would
> expect it to be published as a PDF when it goes up on the list of public
> documents; that's just a mechanical format change. On the other hand,
> tools for editing PDF documents are much less common in practice than
> tools for editing Word documents.
>
>> b) We are (beware, I am wearing my GGF hat) a *standards* group.
>>    The Word document format in itself is not standardised. The fact
>> that almost
>>    everybody uses it, does not qualify it as a real standard.
>>    To be honest, I really *do* prefer the OpenDocument format,
>> standardised by
>>    OASIS. There are several word processors that do support this
>> document format.
>

> Surely it does not matter what format a working group uses to do its
> work as long as the group actually manages to do the work? (Note that I
> differentiate the publication of versions for public comments and as
> actual standards recommendations; those are fixed documents and as such
> should be PDF documents, the PDF format having a very good record of
> readability across deployments.)
>
> In other words, as long as we on the group can cope with Word, we're
> fine to use it for our drafts. Switching document formats *now* would be
> a bad move!
>
>> c) Word is obviously inconsistent in itself (is this really new
>> info?), see this
>>    funny hyperlink example. Other examples are different document
>> formatting
>>    depending on the printer used (and fonts available on the
>> system), etc.
>

> Is this a critical issue in a draft? Is there any part of the
> specification of JSDL that depends on the layout of the content upon the
> page? I'd hope not...
>
>> d) Using Word documents forces every author to use Word as well.
>> This  incurs
>>    substantial costs on all participants. While this is usually of a
>> lesser
>>    issues for larger companies (who do have Word licenses anyway)
>> private
>>    persons (who should be attracted by *really* open standardisation
>> groups
>>    as well) are barred out except they invest in software.
>>    I find this quite ironic.
>>
>> e) Interoperability (may also be seen as a subtopic of d) is an
>> issue  here.
> [...]

Dr A. Stephen McGough                       http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~asm
Technical Coordinator, London e-Science Centre, Imperial College London,
Department of Computing, 180 Queen's Gate, London SW7 2BZ, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-594-8409                        fax: +44 (0)207-581-8024