[jsdl-wg] DataStaging concerns

Peter G.Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 20 10:16:06 CDT 2005

>> 2) There's no distinction between a stage-in or stage-out flavor of
>> the
>> staging directives.  I guess it's up to the service to decipher this
>> so
>> that it can perform the staging at the appropriate point in the life
>> cycle.
>
> It is not really up to the service. A DataStaging element has either a
> Source child element, a Target child element, or both. A Source
> element being present clearly tags a DataStaging element to be
> processed in the stage in phase of a JSDL job. A Target child element,
> respectively, requires its DataStaging parent being processed in the
> stage out phase of the JADL job. Having both Source and Target
> elements indicates that the containing DataStaging element needs
> processing in both stage in and stage out phases of the job execution
> process.
> So in the end, it's rather indirectly encoded in DataStaging itself.

Ah, I was assuming Source and Target meant something like "from URL"
and "to URL", so that they would be specified in each DataStaging
section.  In that way I saw no difference between stage-in and
stage-out.  So I would argue that the element names are confusing, but
unfortunately I don't have a better suggestion at the moment.