[jsdl-wg] DataStaging concerns

Peter G.Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 19 15:45:32 CDT 2005

Hi all,

Forgive me if I'm reiterating on a topic.  I've only be reading up on
JSDL since yesterday.  I have a few concerns about the DataStaging
section.  Primarily, I'm wondering if it really makes sense to have it
as part of the core schema.  I think it would be better to have
extensions like POSIXApplication for more specific DRM configurations.
Here are some of my thoughts:

1) There's still controversy over whether staging should or should not
be integrated into a DRM.  As far as I can tell, for example, the BES
doesn't have any plans to implement staging.  DRMMA makes this
optional.  If BES ends up using JSDL, wouldn't this be a violation of
the spec which requires each element to be supported in some way?

2) There's no distinction between a stage-in or stage-out flavor of the
staging directives.  I guess it's up to the service to decipher this so
that it can perform the staging at the appropriate point in the life
cycle.

3) I don't particularly like that the DataStaging sections include an
option to remove the file at the end of the job.  If I'm staging out
data then this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  I'd much prefer a
separate section which explicitly lists all the files that are to be
removed from the submission machine after the job has been completed.
This would also cover the case of data that is created rather than
staged in but still needs to be removed after job completion.

4) Based on the current GRAM incarnation, it would be nice to let RFT's
transfer request description extend a base staging schema and then use
that in the JSDL document rather than adding a bunch of extensions to
DataStaging.  This is similar to how I'd want to go about using
POSIXApplication.

Thanks in advance for any responses...

Peter