[jsdl-wg] CREAM JDL vs JSDL

Massimo Sgaravatto - INFN Padova massimo.sgaravatto at pd.infn.it
Wed May 11 08:36:42 CDT 2005

Dear all

In the context of the Compute Resource Management Interfaces (CRM)
initiative (the same mentioned by Oxana), the Job Description Language
(JDL) used by the CREAM (Computing Resource Execution AND Management)
service has been compared with JSDL.
The CREAM JDL is a subset of the EGEE WMS JDL, that is the language used
to specify characteristics and requirements for jobs submitted to the EGEE
Workload Management System. This JDL is a high-level, user-oriented
language based con Condor Classads for describing jobs and complex
requests (aggregates of jobs). It is a fully extensible language, hence
the user is allowed to use whatever attribute for the description of a
request. However, only a certain set of attributes, referred as "supported
attributes", is taken into account.

The result of this evaluation is available at:

http://www.pd.infn.it/grid/jra1/CREAMJDL-vs-JSDL.pdf

A presentation summarizing these results is also available at:

http://www.pd.infn.it/~sgaravat/Grid/CREAMJDL-vs-JSDL-EGEE3.pdf
http://www.pd.infn.it/~sgaravat/Grid/CREAMJDL-vs-JSDL-EGEE3.ppt

In short we found that for many functionality for which specific CREAM
JDL attributes exist there aren't "default" JSDL directives that could be
used.
For most of them this is not surprising since they refer to
features/functionality very specific to our architecture. In this case I
guess JSDL extensions could be used.

On the other hand (and here I agree with Oxana) there are some issues
that in my opinion could/should probably be addressed by the default JSDL
directives.
In particular (and, again, I agree with Oxana):

- the specification of workflows (in our case DAGs, job collections,
  parametric jobs)
- the support for matchmaking, i.e. allowing specifying requirements (and
  preferences) on the target resource where the job has to be executed.

Thanks for your attention

				Cheers, Massimo

              \\\|///
            \\ ~ ~ //
            (/ @ @ /)
   -------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------------
                              Massimo Sgaravatto
                              INFN Sezione di Padova
                              Via Marzolo, 8
                              35131 Padova - Italy
                              Tel: ++39 0498277047   Fax: ++39 0498277102
          oooO                E-mail: massimo.sgaravatto at pd.infn.it
          (   )   Oooo        Home page: http://www.pd.infn.it/~sgaravat
                  (_/